Thursday, May 1, 2014

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz (or maybe a Tesla), or maybe just a Budweiser

I find it is so very easy in our consumption-driven world to affirm our love for something.  Do you feel the same way?

People "love" beer, muscle cars and rock bands, which is all find and dandy. But for Budweiser to affirm its love for me by printing up a shirt that tells the world that I am loved, now that might have some value for me.

I had the opportunity to spend a few minutes this week with a lovely person, who I had not previously met.  She was going through a bit of a tough time, so we struck up a conversation about it. 

In the process of the conversation, she made a point about her house, which she described as “not exactly a mansion, but we’re comfortable.”  She went on to say that if God had wanted her to have a mansion, then he would have given her a mansion.

This whole God-the-great-donor-of-material-things is, to put it mildly, a foreign thought to me, and normally I wouldn’t have said anything.  But in this instance, some little demon in me said to her “Well, God didn’t give his own son a mansion, so what does that tell you about what God thinks about mansions.”

I don’t know where that came from, but it hit home base with my new friend and it hit home base with me.

No comments: