Thursday, May 8, 2014

Funny how we all see things so differently

Going about my daily activities, I happened to be in the vicinity of a young woman who was struggling to put a lid on a cup of soda.  The lid apparently broke in the process and she made a small-ish mess.  I felt sorry for her, but didn't think much of it as she seemed to have the situation under control, albiet slightly frazzled by the inconvenience.

Then, she said this (explicatives deleted):   “This is all because the environmentalists make them have to make the plastic lids so flimsy.  I wish those environmentalists would just mind their own business.”

She was considering the useable life of a paper cup, lid and straw that would probably span about 10 minutes and complaining about quality.  I'm assuming that the reaction was brought out by frustration over the incident, but I was just not expecting the consideration that the manufacturer of the cup had been mandated to make the utensils flimsy because of pressure from environmentalists.

I was so happy to have been able to get that unexpected refresher of just how wide ranging viewpoints can be on even the very most simple of matters.

No comments: