Monday, August 20, 2018

The Three Buttons


There is a button on my internet browser labeled “Favorites”.
It’s where I keep links to websites I use a lot.  Of course, this is a good idea because it saves me from having to re-type the whole website address thing.  I know it’s a good idea because I use it often.
I do, however object to the label “Favorites”.  I actively dislike some of the websites I visit often.  I wish there could be two buttons – “Favorites” and “Often Used”.
On “Favorites”, I would keep links to baseball scores in the summer and basketball and hockey scores in the winter and movie times and my church and YouTube videos of Carlin, Hedberg, Rock and TED talks.
On “Often Used” I would keep my bank and Amazon and a “news” feed or two and the stock market stuff.
I just feel it a sacrilege for all that to be jumbled up in something called “Favorites”.  Seems wrong.  “Favorites” seems too welcoming - even inviting.  It make it out like those sites are good old friends or a comfortable pair of shoes or the morning music show on ETV Radio.  Whoever named it "Favorites" clearly had a different outlook on the value of browsing the internet than mine. 
Maybe there should be a third button called “Oh, God.  Do I have to?”  That actually seems more appropriate than “Favorites” sometimes.  It would be a place, for example where die-hard Orioles fans could put their memories of this season or the website for my student loans or for that matter anything that mentions our current government.
Three buttons.  “Favorites”.  “Often Used” and “Oh, God.  Do I have to?  Seems about right to me.

No comments: