Monday, May 14, 2018

Aquila Non Capit Muscas

I just heard this very interesting latin phrase for the first time.

I was looking up de minimis which is a phrase I just cannot for the life of me seem to remember how to spell. De minimis means "dealing with little things". Its used in accounting and business when what we want to say is that "We are going to mail you a check for $0.03 because that would be stupid."

 Aquila Non Capit Muscas is a more colorful way of saying the same thing. Literally, it means "Eagles don't catch flies". The inference being that whoever says it is claiming that the matter being discussed is below them, or not worthy of their effort.

What clocked me over the head was exactly how much time I spend catching flies in the pursuit of whatever it is

I'm pursuing - or maybe its pursuing me.

No comments: