Monday, March 21, 2016

Spring! (Officially)

Today is the first day of Spring in the northern hemisphere.

My pagan friends would explain the distance from the sun and the tilt of the earth and all that stuff.  Its not that I find that stuff unimportant or disinteresting, its just that I find it a little mechanical.  Knowing how it operates kind of sucks the joy out of the first day of Spring for me.

For me, the first day of Spring is a couple things.  First, my father was born on the first day of Spring, back in 1921.  So for that reason alone, today is a big day for me.  Even though he's been gone for nearly 25 years, I still remember.

Second, its eternally hopeful.  Sure, hope is manifest in St. Groundhog's day. and Imboc and St. Brigid's day (depending on where you happen to be living at the time).  But all of that is really kind of looking forward to the first day of Spring, which is today, which is in turn looking forward to relaxing in the Summer.

So, welcome, Spring.  Good to see ya.

No comments: