Friday, September 7, 2012

Living my inner duck


I am not a Christian. 

This is not a statement I make about myself but one that has been made about me.  Quite regularly, actually.  I’ve taken to just cutting to the chase and confessing this apparent sin early.

If you ask me, I would say that by the evidence, I actually might be a Christian.  I believe that Jesus was both God and man.  I believe that Jesus was and knew the Kingdom of God.  I believe that what he did here, he did freely.
 
Where I go off the tracks with imperial Christianity is that these characteristics aren't what made Jesus unique. We are all both God and man, we just are afraid to see it.  We all can see the Kingdom of God because its staring us in the face, but it’s too scary to admit and we can all ultimately be free by simply giving up freedom itself.

The Christian empire has self-defined what it means to be Christian and that means they have defined me out of it.  You know that old saying “If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it’s a duck.”  That all depends on who is defining duckness, I guess, but more importantly, its how you live your inner duck that really, really matters.  

No comments: