Friday, June 29, 2012

Today was a wonderfully terrible day


Today, my thoughts ran away from me.  It took me all day to get so very little work done that the New England work ethic in me is guilting me into declaring it a vacation day, posthumously.

Today, I was nervous about everything.  Molehills became mountains.  I was unable to focus due to fear over nothing.  Uncertainty, normally my friend, scared me today.  I didn’t know how to start a crucial conversation, so I avoided it.  I didn’t answer the phone twice.  I was unable to encourage “my” people past even the slightest of their imperfections. 

Today, I was glad my daughters slept a long time and found something to do after dinner.  Today, I was glad that my wife was gone since before I woke up until after dark.

Today, I needed someone to pick me up, dust me off and point me in the direction of the nearest chair and tell me to sit down and relax.

Today, I became a better person because today I gained empathy for people who are having even temporary loss of control of their thoughts.

No comments: