Friday, April 13, 2012

I trust you

Trust is something that we each deal with quite differently in different situations.    Sometimes we give it and sometimes we take it away.

Depending on the application, we may instantly consider someone to be trustworthy.  A lot of this has to do with the level of risk involved.  A newborn child, for example gains immediate trust in large measure due our perception of their helplessness.

Then again, there is the matter of the quality of the trust.  There is a quality difference between the trust I share with my daughters and the trust I share with the guy who bags my groceries.

Some of us give trust freely others give if very sparsely.  Some take it away at the first sign of trouble and others will allow it to work its way out.

The one thing I know about trust is that we don't normally say it:  "I trust you".  We simply live our lives in a way that you would if you just assumed that the trust was or wasn't there.   We don't, for example, get out of the car every time we press the brakes to make sure that the brake lights lit up properly.  We just trust that they do.  On the flip side, most of us won't take someone at their word if their word has proven to be faulty.

I wonder why then, we have the constant reminder of trust in God on all of our money?  That has often puzzled me.  Plus, shouldn't that be the other way around - God trusts us?  That would make more sense to me from a logistics perspective, but less sense from the perspective of something you'd want or need to say out loud.

I guess when it all comes down to it, you have to first give it before you can take it away.


No comments: