Tuesday, December 25, 2012

A Prayer for a Merry Christmas

Peace has come to me this Christmas season. My family is away and I am working nearly non-stop on personal thing to prepare for what should be my penultimate classes on my masters degree.  I have had the additional blessing of becoming stark-raving sick, confining me first to a hotel room (I was traveling for work) and then home for the vast majority of a week.  I have ventured out of my shell only four times during that time (five times if you count the three hour drive home) and two of those were to the doctor's office.  I have two presents, one from my mother, one from my daughter and her boyfriend sitting on the kitchen table.  I am blissfully peaceful - I even found and lit some incense, something I haven't done in years.  I wish you could have the same, whatever that means to you.

I also have received the gift of prophetic words from over a century ago.  These words came packed in (what seems like) thousands of pages of required reading, most of which borders on incomprehensible babble.  Rising above the babble like a chinese bottle rocket, William Ellery Channing said:

"To live in the truth or divine spirit of Christ is to be freed from the always-evil desire to dominate any other human being."

Print that, wrap it up, put it under your tree or in your stocking, and when you open it, it's me, wishing you a Merry Christmas.


No comments: