Thursday, September 13, 2012

Never stop improving


I got an advertisement today from one of those big-box hardware home-improvement type stores urging me to “Never stop improving.”   They were even so nice as to give me a coupon for discounts, presumably to make my quest easier.

Damn, life can be exhausting, sometimes.  They make it seem like if I’m not buying junk from them and sprinkling it around my less-than-modest home that I’ve somehow managed to allow myself to be frozen in a state of perpetual mediocrity.  Trapped by my own inadequacies.  I hate it when that happens.

Maybe I’m improving myself in some other ways.  And, maybe, just maybe, if it’s a real good day, I’m not self-conscious or guilty about not having improved myself one damn bit.  Maybe this “if you’re not going forward, you’re going backwards” (crap) mentality is good for businessmen and high school athletes, but maybe, just maybe, like a starfish opening a clam, it’s injecting a sense of self-loathing that is mostly imaginary.

“Never stop improving.”  Where would I be without that thought?

No comments: