Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I Banana


I came down the stairs recently knowing that I didn’t have a lot of time to eat and leave the house.  This seemed like an exact replay of the prior day when I was saved by a banana, an apple and a granola bar, all of which I could eat on the drive.  I knew coming down the stairs that there was one banana left and that apples and granola bars were in ample supply.

When I got to the lone banana, I was amazed to see how much it had aged since yesterday.  Yesterday it was a fine banana, just with the little brown dots.  Today it looked like it had lost a battle of some sort. 

A recent knee injury made me connect with that banana.   My knee slows me down so that I feel that I must look less stable, less vibrant, less appealing. 

For a minute, I connected with that banana on a deeply personal level.  And then, I ate it.  I’m sure there is some symbolism there, but I can’t unwind it long enough to get a good look at it.

No comments: