Friday, March 30, 2012

The second-to-the-worst sin...


Reading the stories of the Christian Scriptures, we find that the Pharisees and the Sadducees seemed to enjoy trying to get Jesus to put his foot in his mouth by asking him legalistic questions in which he was challenged to pick his “favorite” commandment.

In playing these childish games, we missed the chance to ask some real questions of him.  If I were there, and knowing what I know now, I think I would have asked him this:  

"Rabbi, which is the most harmful sin?"

Like getting my own rebound, I’ll take this one.  I think Jesus would have said this:

“My son, the second-to-the-worst sin is regret. Wishing you’d put aside your own ambitions to help those in need.  Wishing you’d seen beauty instead of ugliness.  Wishing you’d sat and talked when you really had other things to do.  Hoping for a better world.  Wishing that everyone else were more like you.”

“And the worst?” I would have begged:

Jesus replies:  “And the worst is never regretting anything.”

No comments: